Discussions between the Center and the Sacramento Police Department
During Sacramento Pride 2019, a public debate regarding the Sacramento Police Department’s relationship with the LGBTQ+ community prompted a set of commitments to action. Since then, the Center has been meeting regularly with Sac PD to build a relationship and trust, while also following through with our promise to community members to hold the Department accountable. The meetings resulted in agreements toward on-going implementation of the following commitments:
Where we are:
- The Creation of a Community Advisory Committee is one of the outcomes of the Community Healing Circles.
- New Officer Trainings have been audited by Center staff and have received feedback which has since been implemented.
- Community Forums or Healing Circles which are scheduled to take place in February and March, 2020.
- Enhanced LGBTQ Liaison position has taken place since July, 2019 and will continue to be strengthened in 2020.
- Center Complaint/Reporting Program is an outcome that will be reviewed by the Community Advisory Committee.
The public discussion during Pride raised significant divisions within the community. The Center has been working with Everyday Impact Consulting to offer Healing Circles for the community to achieve dual goals: 1. Radical healing and care for our communities; and, 2. Bridging inter-generational LGBTQ+ leaders in Sacramento.
Everyday Impact Consulting will take the lead on coordinating and co-facilitating the Community Healing Circles. We invite you to join us during these community conversations, especially those who have had negative interactions with police. By promoting a place of understanding and reconciliation first in our community, we will be better positioned to address tensions with law enforcement.
Through the Community Healing Circle, we will engage in difficult conversations about life experiences, understanding perceived differences in our world views, and creating opportunities for diverse groups of people to achieve things together.
We have been very intentional and deliberate with the planning of the Community Healing Circles, to achieve radical healing from harm and trauma, while aspiring to bridge and promote understanding through community conversations. We hope that this process allows community members to share their experiences.
We invite you to a Community Healing Circle to engage in difficult conversations about life experiences, understanding perceived differences in our world views, and creating opportunities for diverse groups of people to achieve things together.
To register, please visit our Community Healing Circles page.